A NEW VERSION of Installation, Setup, Configuration, Troubleshooting and Intro to Theming documentation has been added here!
Please refer to BOTH this link AND this manual for thorough information, as this manual is more in-depth but the above link contains latest info for Plumi 4.5.
Plumi is a Free Software Content Management System designed for video-sharing, based on Plone and produced by EngageMedia. Plumi enables you to create your own video-sharing site; by installing Plumi on your web server your can use a wide array of functionality to facilitate video distribution and community creation.
Features include video podcasting, server-side flash/ogg transcoding and embedded playback, open content licensing, a sophisticated publishing workflow and large file uploading via FTP. You can also utilise many of Plone's other built in features including news, events, comments and user profiles.
This manual covers a basic guide to features for ordinary users, use of site administration tools, and installation and configuration of a new Plumi website on a Linux web server. The sections on installation and configuration require some prior knowledge as listed here.
Throughout this manual, various external documentation is referred to - often using the term "Plone" as opposed to "Plumi". This is because Plumi is based on the Plone content management system, and most documentation on the web is written for Plone more generally, rather than specifically for Plumi.
- Vodcast or video podcast - RSS-based syndication of content, including a video file.
- Dashboard - a Plumi site user's basic control panel to access functions including profile, personal preferences and site contributions.
- FTP - (File Transfer Protocol) is a way of transferring files, not by uploading or downloading through the web-browser, but by using an FTP-client, that offers features such as resumable up/downloads.
For Site Administrators and Developers
- Plumi - the video-sharing web-application, based on Plone/Zope, for which this manual was written.
- Plone - Free Software Content Management System based on Zope.
- Zope - Application server and database.
- Python - the dynamic programming language in which Plone/Plumi is largely written, that is used in a wide variety of application domains. Python is often compared to Perl, Ruby, Scheme or Java.
- ZMI (Zope Management Interface) - an interface for configuring Zope, including the ability to add and configure Plone sites (instances).
- Transcode Daemon - video transcoding framework and network service, which converts video files to web friendly formats using ffmpeg, integrated into Plone.
- Skin or Theme - the visual design of a Plone website, including its page templates, CSS and images.
- Product - a Python package for Zope, a type of software module that can be used in Plone.
- Package - a more general term, but in the Zope world often refers to something that doesn't live in the Products name space.
- Egg - a way to distribute packages. Supports automatic dependency management: dependencies can be downloaded from PyPI/The Cheese Shop.
- GenericSetup - a way to configure a Plone site using declarative XML files.