This chapter describes the everyday tasks for using the Survey feature.
Managing Your Surveys
To view and edit existing surveys, go to Campaign > Dashboard > Surveys. Here you will find a summary of your surveys.
Use the links at the right to manage existing surveys, or click Add Survey to create a new survey.
Before conducting a survey, you need to determine the group of individuals you want to interview; in CiviCRM this is called reserving respondents.
The reserved group can be divided into smaller subsets, as this may be a more manageable number of contacts to interview within available time periods.
To learn more about how to create a group, see the chapter called Groups and Tags.
To reserve a group of respondents:
- Go to Campaigns > Reserve Respondents.
- From the Survey dropdown menu select the name of the survey (required).
- From the Group(s) dropdown menu select the name of the group of the contacts to be interviewed.
- You can enter additional criteria to limit your search to a geographic area, such as Street Address, Street Name, Street Unit, Street Number, City, Zip/Postal Code. (Note: CiviCRM will parse a street address into Street Name, Street Unit, Street Number - which is extremely useful if you're planning a large door-to-door canvass - only if you turn on address parsing by clicking on Administer > Configure > Global Settings > Address Settings, then in the Address Editing area, check the box for Street Address Parsing.)
- Click Search.
On the Find Respondents to Reserve search results screen, select the contacts to be reserved for interviewing:
- Select the individuals to be reserved for surveys by checking the individual contacts to be interviewed (or select all of the contacts by clicking the radio button for All n records (where n is the number of contacts found in the reserve respondents search).
- Click Go to reserve the respondents.
On the Reserve Respondents screen, click Reserve.
In our public housing survey scenario, the TOFT volunteers entered the data they had gathered each day directly into CiviCRM, using the following steps:
- Click Campaign > Interview Respondents.
- On the Find Respondents to Interview screen use the same criteria as for Reserve Respondents:
- Survey: (required) select the name of the survey
- Group(s): select the name of the group of the contacts to be interviewed
- click Search.
- On the search results screen, either select the individuals to record responses, or select All n records (where n is the number of contacts found in the reserve respondents search).
- Click Go to record survey responses.
- On the Record Survey Responses screen for each individual, record the responses to each of the three questions.
- In the Result column, select the status of responses to the survey.
- Click Record Response, then choose one of the following:
- Click Done if you have finished recording the responses and return to the Find Respondents to Interview screen.
- Click Release Respondents if you decide not to record responses for the contacts; then on the Release Respondents screen, click Release Respondents so they will no longer be reserved and another volunteer can reserve the contacts to be interviewed.
- Click Reserve More Respondents to find more contacts to be interviewed.