This chapter will describe some of the everyday tasks to help you create, edit, renew, and manage your memberships.
To see a summary of the status of your memberships over recent months, as well as a details about these memberships, you can use the membership dashboard or or view the membership in an individual's contact record.
The Membership Dashboard
To see a quick snapshot of your recent memberships, use the membership dashboard: Memberhips > Dashboard. This screen contains two blocks of information that display a summary or your recent memberships, categorised by type and date range, and a list of recent member activity.
All of the summary numbers are hot-linked. Simply click on a number to drill down and view a list of members who have joined or renewed over the last two months or the year-to-date, or who are considered current according to the membership status definitions. From this list of members, you can perform additional actions with the memberships, such as Delete, Edit, Export, Send Email to Contacts.
Viewing An Individual's Membership Records
Another way to view membership records is by viewing an specific individual's record and looking at the Membership tab:
- After finding the contact you wish to manage, click the "Membership" tab to view a summary of the contact's membership records.
Membership records appear in a list with active memberships (those with a current status) first and followed by expired or canceled memberships.
You can edit existing membership records, renew a membership, or create a new membership record. If you have configured an online credit card payment processor for use in CiviCRM, you will see two options for creating or renewing a membership: one for handling an offline record (no real-time transaction taking place), and one for handling an online record (using a real-time credit card transaction). The interface for each process is very similar, except that the credit card option includes payment processing and recording options.
Creating a New Membership
To create a new membership record, you can:
- Find the contact, then click on the Membership tab > Add New Membership, then fill out the "New Membership" form, OR
- Click Memberships > New Membership, then select the contact or create a new contact who will be getting the membership, then fill out the "New Member" form
Many of the fields on this page will be auto-completed if left blank. Fields include:
- Membership Organization and Type: select the name of the organization that the contact has a membership with and the type of membership.
- Source: The system will complete details regarding the record, including whether it was an offline or online transaction and who completed the record.Status Override
- Campaign: if the membership is connected with a larger campaign, select the name of the campaign. To learn more, see the section on "Campaigns".
- Member Since: The date the membership record was created will be auto-filled, but you can edit this date with the actual date that the member joined.
- Start Date: If the membership type is a rolling membership, the current date will be auto-filled. If the membership type is a fixed period, CiviCRM will determine the appropriate start date based on the membership type configuration.
- End Date: This field is automatically calculated from the start date and filled in based on the membership type settings.
- Status Override?: check this box to manually define a status for the membership record. As indicated by the title, it overrides the status automatically provided. You should use caution with this field as setting it will disable the automated status function for the record.
- Record Membership Payment?: By checking the box and completing the transaction fields displayed, you are creating two associated records: a membership record and a contribution record. After recording the membership, you will be able to view the membership record and see the related contribution record at the bottom.
- Send Confirmation and Receipt?: check this box to send an email to the contact that their membership is confirmed
Naturally, you expect your constituents not only to join your organization, but to maintain their membership on an ongoing basis through renewals. CiviCRM facilitates the renewal process: Search for the contact > click on the "Membership" tab > click MORE next to the membership record to renew > Renew.
Batch updating memberships
You can batch update membership records by selecting Memberships > Find Members > enter your criteria and from the "Find Members" results screen, select the membership records and click Batch update. You'll need to
Canceling, expiring and deleting memberships
If a contact wants to resign or cancel their membership, rather than deleting their membership, you should change the status to cancelled or another status that is not considered current. This ensures that you keep a historical record on the contacts interaction with your organisation.
You may want to delete a membership record if you accidently created a membership for the wrong contact. The contact is not deleted, only the membership record is deleted. This action cannot be undone.
You can delete membership records by:
- Searching for a particular contact, then click on the "Membership" tab > click More next to the membership record > click Delete, OR
- Click on Memberships > Find Members > enter your criteria and from the "Find Members" results screen, select the membership records and click Delete.
Exporting membership records
You may decide to export membership records so that you can do more analysis, perform document mail merges, or create a specific type of report outside of CiviCRM. Exporting membership records allows you to select a default set of primary fields or choose fields that are specific to the membership record for export.
To export membership records:
- Click on Memberships > Find Members > enter your criteria,
- then on the "Find Members" search results screen, select the records you want to import and in -actions- drop down, select Export Members.
Sending email to members
After searching your records, you may want to send an email to selected contacts and include data field tokens to personalize the email message. To learn more about emailing and tokens in CiviCRM, see the section called "Email".
To send email to members:
- Click on Memberships > Find Members > enter your criteria,
- then on the "Find Members" search results screen, select the records you want to import and in -actions- drop down, select Send Email to Contacts.