The Table of Contents
Once several chapters have been created and developed, it is time to organise and order your Table of Contents.
Adding Sections to your Table of Contents
On the Book Editing page your newly created chapters will be sitting under the Hold chapters section, but before you add your chapters to the Table of contents, you may want to create separate sections for groups of chapters.
To add sections to a book, first you need to navigate to it's editing page, either via your Profile page or use the Books link in the menu to find and work on a book created by someone else.
- On the editing page click NEW SECTION at the top or bottom of the Table of contents.
- The New section window opens, enter the title of your new section and click Create section.
- The new section is created and placed at the bottom of the Table of contents.
Organising the Table of Contents
Inside a book's Chapters tab, the page is divided into two areas, the top area is the Table of contents and the bottom area is called Hold chapters. When a chapter is first created it is automatically placed into Hold chapters and stays there until you are ready to publish that chapter. Any chapter residing in Hold Chapters will not be visible in you books Reading page and will not be included when you publish your book (e.g. creating a book or web formatted pdf, or epub)
Re-ordering Sections and Chapters
If your sections need to be re-ordered click and hold on the up/down arrow at the left of the Section bar you wish to move, then drag the section up or down to get to it's rightful place. If you need to delete a section, drag it into the Hold chapters area of the Chapters tab.
Once the book's sections have been set up you are able to use the same technique to drag your chapters from the Hold chapters area into the correct section of the table of contents. If there are any chapters you are unsure about or want to make significant modifications to you can drag them back to the Hold chapters area so they wont appear in the Table of Contents on your Book's Reading Page.
Deleting Sections and Chapters
To delete a section, use the above method to move it into Hold Chapters once in there it will be deleted.
Currently chapters can't be deleted from Booki, but to prevent them from appearing in a book's Reading page or from being published drag them into Hold Chapters.
Editing Chapter and Section Titles
Once a chapter or section has been created, you may not always like the title or you might be re-organising the entire book and therefore chapters and sections need to be re-named for the new structure. Renaming is the same for both chapters and sections:
- Open your book's Edit page and make sure the Chapters tab is selected.
- Double-Click on the chapter or section name that you want to change. A text field opens allowing you to change your title.
- Make any changes you desire and then click on the SAVE button to the right of the text field. CANCEL will of course cancel any changes made and return you to the previous title.